Careers at BSF
Job Title: Controller
Reports to: Director of Finance
The position of Controller is responsible for managing the accounting operations and maintaining an adequate system of internal control policies and procedures. Controller responsibilities also include the preparation of comprehensive financial statements, financial budgets and forecasts, as well as reporting on budget variances.
The Controller is responsible for completing assigned accounting functions for Bible Study Fellowship in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and financial management techniques and practices appropriate for the non-profit industry.
ESSENTIAL TO THE POSITION:
The Controller must have received Jesus Christ as his/her personal Savior, and be in full agreement with the Bible Study Fellowship Statement of Faith, Human Sexuality Policy, Core Values and Cultural Commitments. The Controller must possess knowledge of General Accepted Accounting Principles, accounting transactions, entries, systems and processes to produce financial statements, comprehensive budgets, financial management and economic analysis reports. BSF is a highly collaborative work environment which requires the ability to work as a team player using excellent communication skills along with flexible, solution-oriented problem-solving skills.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare interim monthly financial statements for three (3) corporations in a timely manner, normally within 30 days from month end.
- Prepare the annual proposed operating budget and 3-yr strategic forecast.
- Prepare monthly variance reports for Directors and Division Heads comparing actual operating expenses to their approved budgets.
- Prepare YTD revenue forecast report 10 days after month-end and provide to Executive Director.
- Perform cost analysis of operating expenses for forecasting and stewardship purposes as needed.
- Assist in year-end closing and preparation of annual work papers and supporting documentation for the annual financial audit.
- Maintain the assigned financial records for BSF headquarters.
- Verify and process EFT batch files and international wires, as needed.
- Review and post batches of cash receipts to the general ledger.
- Maintain the general ledger chart of accounts; make recommendations for additional accounts or inactivation of accounts; and provide advice for coding of transactions.
- Assist/train data entry personnel in proper use of accounting software.
- Prepare and/or review bank and investment account reconciliations.
- Periodically assess accounting application software programs for additions, improvements and upgrades as needed; and assist with implementation of new programs and accounting processes.
- Other such duties as assigned by the Director of Finance and CFO.
- Analytical Thinking: Must possess the ability to perform work assigned by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
- Technical Expertise: Must possess the ability and demonstrate depth of knowledge and skill of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Effectively applies this technical knowledge to solve a range of problems and provide guidance to Finance employees.
- Results Orientation: Must be able to focus on the desired results of the Finance department. Must have a strong sense of urgency about solving problems, achieving work goals and meeting work deadlines.
- Thoroughness: Ensures that one's own and others' work and information are complete and accurate; carefully preparing for meetings and presentations; following up with others to ensure that agreements and commitments have been fulfilled. Sets up procedures to ensure high quality of work. Develops and uses systems to organize and keep track of information or work progress.
- Managing Performance: Takes responsibility for one's own or one's employees' performance, by setting clear goals and expectations, tracking progress against the goals, ensuring feedback, and addressing performance problems and issues promptly.
- Fostering Teamwork: Encourages and supports team members’ ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team; as a team leader, the ability to demonstrate interest, skill, and success in getting groups to learn to work together.
- Initiative: Identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it. Does more than what is normally required in a situation. Seeks out others involved in a situation to learn their perspectives. Takes independent action to change the direction of events.
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Certified Public Accountant license is required and 3 to 5 years equivalent experience with national or regional CPA firm/corporate organization/ministry, or an advanced degree in accounting.
- Have a very good understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, internal controls, planning/budgeting/forecasting, and the routine processes of accounting software applications.
- Experience preparing financial statements and with Blackbaud NXT preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret financial records and documents.
- Good analytical ability, detail oriented, organized, good keyboarding skills, proficiency with Excel, Word and PowerPoint, ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to satisfactorily communicate (verbal and written) in English with auditors, vendors, banking representatives, co-workers, guests and management.
BSF’S WORKPLACE CULTURE:
BSF employees are expected to support a workplace culture built around our Mission, Vision, Core Values and Cultural Commitments. BSF Headquarters employees maintain a Biblical culture, meeting daily for prayer and Bible study. Employees strive for integrity, humility, excellence, dependence on God, compassion for people and passion for God. We are committed to teamwork, continuous improvement, good communicators, life-long learners, best practices and maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
This position is located in San Antonio, Texas. If interested, please respond by emailing a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls. BSF offers a generous employee benefit plan including major medical and dental policies, paid vacation and a relocation package.