Careers at BSF
The Editorial Director oversees development and delivery of BSF’s study and ministry support material; shepherds, mentors and coaches BSF’s editorial team – on staff and in field – enhancing their skill set, assuring quality control and keeping the brand fresh and relevant. Coordinates across divisions to meet editorial needs, making necessary assignments, coordinating development/revision process, keeping projects’ vision aligned among stakeholders and meeting deadlines.
ESSENTIAL TO THE POSITION
Has received Jesus Christ as personal Lord and Savior and is in full agreement with Bible Study Fellowship’s Statement of Faith. This person has excellent understanding of the Bible, Christian doctrine and its impact on culture. This person possesses a command of the English language that is clear, engaging and accounts for the breadth of BSF members’ biblical understanding, worldview and cultural diversity. Has extensive experience editing material that reaches a diverse audience with clarity, depth and impact. Possesses ability to lead, coach, mentor and collaborate with others to enhance their skill set, produce outstanding products and meet the goals of the ministry.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
Editorial supervisor: Oversees staff, field personnel and contractors in the development and delivery of BSF’s editorial material; assures and provides guidance in maintaining BSF’s voice, tone and brand, consistency and excellence of editorial content across multiple platforms of communication.
Study material shepherd: Directs editing team and coordinates with other divisions (e.g., Children’s) in development and delivery of excellent Bible study, training (e.g., closing talk resources) and support material.
Editorial support: Collaborates with, supports other divisions and assures delivery in the development of supporting material (i.e., forms; manuals; Retreat; Workshop material; etc.); assists, as requested and needed, in developing and editing digital content (e.g., social media posts, blogs, video scripts, executive office communication, newsletters).
E-reader, audio content: Oversees development of e-reader (epub, mobi) and audio formats of material
Recruits, supervises contracted voiceover talent for audio notes and questions for visually impaired; assures delivery of high-quality content consistent with all other formats.
Assures deliver of high-quality content of e-reader format of content that is consistent with all other formats.
Translation: Assists materials coordinator in assuring on-time delivery of excellent translated material (i.e., notes, questions, manuals, etc.)
- Supervisor: Experience in leading a team, inspiring their creativity, sharpening their skill set and leading by example
- Communication: Has command of English language and is able to effectively communicate truth, doctrine and concepts with impact to a global audience.
- Doctrinal: Has a clear and thorough understanding of the Christian faith and its doctrines with the ability to teach it to others.
- Cultural awareness: Is attuned to issues of the day; has a grasp of how Scripture speaks into these issues; possesses the sensitivity and skills to address these issues with truth and grace
- Intellectual: Has ability to understand complex concepts and distill them for others for a basic understanding; good at finding and assimilating complex and/or large amounts of information quickly
- Interpersonal: Has cooperative, servant, team-oriented spirit; interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; responds well to coaching and critique.
- Organizational: Excellent collaborative, analytical and organizational skills; strong attention to detail; ability to oversee and complete multiple tasks and projects efficiently, with excellence and in a timely fashion
- Self-managerial: Is trustworthy, inquisitive, self-motivated and meets project deadlines
- Creativity: Ability to generate fresh ideas and collaboratively weave them into the context of the mission, vision, values, strategies and initiatives of the ministry
- Technology: Is familiar with and remains up-to-date with relevant, industry-standard software, communication platforms, file-sharing services, collaborative apps and website templates
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have:
- A firm understanding of and desire to advance BSF culture, mission, vision, aims, core values and strategic initiatives. Experience as BSF class leader or member is desired but not required.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher; minimum five years recent and relevant writing and editing experience; proficiency in Microsoft Word, Windows and biblical research tools, such as Logos.
- Experience in writing Christian teaching/training material for a wide audience of Christian understanding.
- Ability to communicate – and coach others – across various and relevant media platforms and styles, such as blogs, social media platforms, long-form essays, newsletters and scripts.
- Proven skills in producing editorial content that is understandable and effective to a global audience.
- Experience in leading others in writing/editing projects in a collaborative environment.
- BSF leadership experience is desired, but not required, for this position.
Those interested in this position should email their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.