(In house staff position)
The General Counsel assists BSF’s Chief Financial Officer in directing the legal affairs of worldwide operations being involved in all matters that have legal implications and acts as liaison with outside legal counsel when required. Responsibilities will include a wide range of legal matters including strategic planning on key initiatives to meet the organization’s goals and objectives in addition to ongoing matters such as contracts, trademarks and copyrights, licensing, regulatory compliance, and structuring collaboration with other affiliated and nonaffiliated entities.
ESSENTIAL TO THE POSITION:
The General Counsel must have received Jesus Christ as his/her personal Savior, and be in full agreement with the Bible Study Fellowship Statement of Faith, Human Sexuality Policy, Core Values and Cultural Commitments. In order to accomplish the work properly, the General Counsel must be professionally competent, very well organized, have excellent interpersonal skills and motivational competencies, be able to direct and meet internal and external deadlines and documentation requirements. Under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer, the General Counsel will also work with the entire BSF leadership team to assess, coordinate and administer all legal issues to support the overall mission of the ministry. BSF is a highly collaborative work environment which requires the ability to work individually and as a team player using excellent communication skills along with flexible, solution-oriented problem-solving skills.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide proactive counsel and guidance on legal issues and on legal implications to the Board, Executive Director, Chief Financial Officer, other senior leaders, operations and communications staff, and program teams for all organizational operations.
- Provide prudent guidance and direction for resolution of any litigation proceedings and negotiate the mediation of any disputes to avoid litigation as much as possible.
- Responsible for preparation, amendment and maintenance of all integral corporate organizational documents.
- Prepare, review and maintain all public and private legal documents for various corporate transactions, regulatory compliance, and governance best practices.
- Serve as policy officer responsible for researching, developing, maintaining and assuring implementation of all policies to support organizational effectiveness, compliance and risk management.
- Research and draft internal policies, external media and field talking point communications for sensitive and risk related issues arising from ministry operations.
- Respond to governmental agencies and third-party vendors over compliance, regulatory and contractual related communications.
- Participate in BSF’s Data Governance Board to assess legal requirements arising from personal data collection, use and protection to assure compliance with applicable laws.
- Participate in long-term ministry risk management through proactive regular assessment, working with appropriate leadership and program teams, to identify and mitigate risk areas.
- Assist Human Resources with advice on new and existing personnel policies and employment related matters.
- Liaise with outside counsel for the timely completion of legal advice, documents, and compliance for the entire ministry.
- Monitor, summarize and report on the more important legal developments and emerging issues impacting religious nonprofit organizations and religious liberties.
- Other such duties as assigned by the Chief Financial Officer related to the management and oversight of legal and governance matters for the ministry.
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
Legal research and legal writing experience with at least ten years of legal experience, Juris Doctor degree and bar licensure required. Knowledge of and/or experience with nonprofits and/or religious ministries preferred. Position requires solid understanding of general non-profit law and regulatory compliance, and working knowledge of contracts, trademarks, copyrights, employment, personal data protection, real estate, and general legal risks associated with religious ministry operations.
BSF’S WORKPLACE CULTURE:
BSF employees are expected to support a workplace culture built around our Mission, Vision, Core Values and Cultural Commitments. BSF Headquarters employees maintain a Biblical culture, meeting daily for prayer and Bible study. Employees strive for integrity, humility, excellence, dependence on God, compassion for people and passion for God. We are committed to teamwork, continuous improvement, good communications, life-long learning, best practices and maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
If interested, please submit a resume to email@example.com. May consider remote candidates, however relocating to San Antonio is a possibility.