The International Controller position is responsible for financial management of and accounting for overseas classes of Bible Study Fellowship in accordance with financial standards, techniques, and practices appropriate for the non-profit industry.
Reports to: Director of International Finance
An International Controller coordinates the day-to-day financial activities of the BSF ministry in designated international regions as it pertains to international area teams, international classes, regional accounts, contractors and staff serving outside the United States.
ESSENTIAL TO THE POSITION:
BA degree in Accounting or Finance; experience working with financial statements and financial operations in multiple countries/currencies; knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles; good analytical ability; detail oriented; experience working with Excel spreadsheets. Previous BSF leadership or class experience is preferred.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain records for all foreign activity by region for consolidation of monthly and annual financial records including class activity, Area Personnel (“AP”) expense reports, bank reconciliations, and other financial transactions.
- Coordinate with foreign registration accounting personnel for review and completion of foreign financial records in country.
- Review, approve, and account for all expense reports, expense reimbursement requests, and travel invoices received from international AP and other volunteers.
- Update HQ database for new foreign exchange rates and issue team-specific AP expense reports reflecting new rates at the beginning of each class year.
- Resolve foreign class and area banking issues and determine best procedures for security of class funds by country considering specific banking laws and registration requirements.
- Determine and facilitate repatriation of surplus class funds through invoicing for digital materials, staff and volunteer training, and support.
- Manage international audits and international input for domestic audit including preparing files, attending audit committee, board meetings, and responding to inquiries.
- Coordinate AP Honorariums for International Area Teams and Translation Honorariums for Chinese and Spanish translators.
- Provide assistance as needed in financial matters relating to international Summits and/or other meeting venues.
- Train and develop financial acumen, knowledge of systems, and best practices for regional account managers, field and class staff, and BSF HQ Finance.
- Assist Chief Financial Officer and Director of International Finance in other duties as assigned.
- Customer Service oriented – servant, kind, compassionate, gentle
- Teamwork – ability to work well with others; values input and contributions of all team members
- Analytical Thinking – ability to review financial information from the international regions and identify discrepancies or inconsistencies when necessary
- Quality management – ensures consistency and integrity of data from international regions and completes duties in a timely manner
- Change management – seeks ways to improve international accounting processes and utilizes technology to drive efficiencies
- Managing Performance – works together with other international controller(s) to set goals, perform job duties, monitor progress, review work and provide feedback related to management of the finances in international regions
- Building Collaborative Relationships – develop, maintain and strengthen relationships with international regional support staff and volunteers
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed above satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
BA degree in Accounting or Finance, or equivalent is required, a CPA or similar certification is desired. A candidate with commensurate experience may be considered qualified at the discretion of management. Competency in working with module-based accounting systems, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word is required.
This position is located in San Antonio with no remote consideration. BSF provides a relocation package. BSF also offers an excellent benefit package with major medical, dental and life insurance and four weeks vacation. Interested applicants should send their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.